Making the choice to undergo breast reduction surgery, also known as reduction mammoplasty, can be difficult. It’s a big step, but it can make a major difference in a person’s life, taking away a great deal of physical and emotional stress. Is a scarless breast reduction right for you?
The first thing we like to talk about with patients is their reason for undergoing breast reduction surgery. Some of the reasons my Honolulu patients have for undergoing this popular surgery are:
- Breasts that are too large and unproportionate to their body frame
- Asymmetrical breasts (one is much larger than the other)
- Skin irritation under their breasts
- Not being able to participate in physical activities due to the size of their breasts
- Back or neck pain due to large breasts
If any of these apply to you, you may be a candidate for breast reduction surgery. How does the surgery work?
A scarless breast reduction involves liposuction. During the procedure, plastic surgeons use a cannula – a tube with a sharp end – to loosen fatty tissue deposits. Medical suction is then used to remove the loosened tissue through the tube. Afterward, the small access incision is sewn up with medical sutures.
Get more information about scarless breast reductions by consulting with Dr. Shim Ching.