Shim Ching, MD: Asia Pacific Plastic Surgery
1401 South Beretania Street #888
Honolulu, HI 96814
Phone: (808) 585-8855
Monday–Friday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Sagging and puffiness around the eyes can make you look perpetually tired and older than you feel. While sleep and exercise can help, there comes a time when cosmetic surgery is the most effective solution. To address these issues, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Shim Ching performs blepharoplasty, often called eyelid surgery, in Honolulu, Hawaii, and in Kuwait City.
What are the benefits of eyelid surgery?
Women and men from throughout Oahu, Maui, and Kauai choose eyelid surgery for a variety of reasons, which often include one or more of the following:
- Removing loose upper eyelid skin
- Reducing puffy bags from under the eyes
- Raising droopy lower eyelids
- Creating or enhancing the upper eyelid fold (Asian eyelid surgery)
Dr. Shim Ching
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Shim Ching is one of Hawaii’s most renowned physicians for aesthetic procedures of the face, breast, and body. His attention to detail, skill, and mastery of surgical techniques produce remarkable, natural-looking results.MEET DR. CHING
How is eyelid surgery performed?
Dr. Ching performs eyelid surgery as an outpatient procedure. The surgery takes from 30 minutes to 2 hours to perform. Depending on the patient’s needs, he performs upper eyelid surgery, lower eyelid surgery, or both.
- For upper eyelid surgery, Dr. Ching places the incision in the natural crease of the upper eyelid. If the patient does not have an upper eyelid crease, he places the incision where the resulting scar is almost invisible. He then removes loose skin and fat from the upper eyelid along with a small strip of muscle.
- For lower eyelid surgery, the procedure depends on the patient’s condition. Some patients only need fat removed. In many cases this fat is preserved, but moved into a lower position in the lower eyelid to fill out any hollows that cause puffy bags or darkened circles under the eyes. Other patients may need excess skin removed and the muscle and ligaments of the lower eyelid tightened. Incisions are hidden either inside the lower eyelid or just below the lashes. With either placement, the scar is concealed.
What Our Patients Are Saying...
I have always had visions of what I would look like with a flat tummy. Now every single morning when I awake, I always say, “thank you Dr. Ching!” Thank you for allowing my dreams and visions of having my ideal body come to be a reality.
Dr Shim Ching is the best surgeon of the island of Oahu. You will get what you paid for. He gets the most hospitable staff. I just love them. Thank you.
Dear Dr. Ching, It has been 6 weeks (just as you said) and I look Fabulous! What a transformation! I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am for the GREAT WORK you did on my face.
What can I expect during recovery after eyelid surgery?
Most patients return home the day of their eyelid surgery in the care of an adult friend or family member. Recovery from eyelid surgery varies between patients; in general, it can take as little as 2 to 3 days or as long as 2 weeks. Most patients experience only mild discomfort for the first few days that is controlled with prescription medication.
Swelling and bruising are normal, but may be minimized by applying ice packs as directed and keeping the head elevated at all times for the first few days. In most cases, patients feel ready to go out in public within a week or two.
Patients who wear contact lenses will need to stop wearing them for about a week.
Strenuous activity should be avoided for the first week and then resumed gradually as directed by Dr. Ching.
Will medical insurance pay for my eyelid surgery?
Eyelid surgery is usually considered an elective procedure and therefore is not covered by most medical insurance plans. However, if the procedure is performed to improve your vision, insurance may cover all or part of the cost. To find out, discuss this with Dr. Ching and your medical insurance provider.
To find out more about eyelid surgery and other procedures that can help you look younger and more attractive, request a consultation with Dr. Ching or call our office at (808) 585-8855 to schedule an appointment.
Directions for Our Fly-in Patients
Dr. Shim Ching's exceptional qualifications and results draw patients to his Honolulu plastic surgery practice from across the Hawaiian Islands including Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. Select a location for driving directions to our practice.