Shim Ching, MD: Asia Pacific Plastic Surgery
1401 South Beretania Street #888
Honolulu, HI 96814
Phone: (808) 585-8855
Monday–Friday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Meet Dr. Ching
What sets Dr. Shim Ching apart from other plastic surgeons on Oahu is the innovative and advanced techniques he uses to create results that reliably meet and exceed his patients’ expectations. He honed these techniques by training at some of the world’s foremost plastic surgery centers, including fellowships in Geneva, New York City, Toronto, Rio de Janeiro, and San Francisco. Patients fly from Maui and Hawaii to see Dr. Ching, in addition to the patients he sees who are native to Oahu.
Expertise Shaped by Experience
Dr. Ching understands that there are no shortcuts to the expertise and skills necessary to become one of the best plastic surgeons in Honolulu, Hawaii, and the entire region. Patients who visit Asia Pacific Plastic Surgery in Honolulu benefit from his extensive education and training.
After pursuing an undergraduate degree from the prestigious McGill University in Montreal, Dr. Ching earned his medical degree at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. He then completed a plastic surgery residency at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, an institution just outside Toronto known for its innovative approach and excellence in medicine.
Approach to Plastic Surgery
Dr. Ching’s medical education and training placed a strong emphasis on developing the surgical skills needed to adopt the latest innovations. That philosophy guides Dr. Ching’s approach to plastic surgery today, creating results that look natural and beautiful by combining his experience and talent with the latest devices and innovative techniques at his disposal. Dr. Ching’s passion for plastic surgery compels him to remain at the forefront of the field and continue to explore how technology can help Asia Pacific Plastic Surgery offer an even better experience to patients.
Dr. Ching’s reputation as a plastic surgeon who blends artistry and skill has been honored many times, both here in Hawaii and nationwide. He has been named as one of the Best Doctors in America since 2011, a recognition reserved for the nation’s top 5% of doctors. He also earned first place in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser’s People’s Choice Awards since 2013 and was among Honolulu Magazine’s Top Doctors in Hawaii since 2011. Castle Connolly Top Doctors has also awarded Dr. Ching Best Doctor status since 2016. Honolulu Magazine has also awarded our practice, Asia Pacific Plastic Surgery as the best cosmetic surgery practice in Honolulu since 2015.
Queen’s Medical Center, Castle Medical Center, Kapiolani Medical Center, and Kuakini Hospital
- Buncke Clinic, San Francisco
- Hand surgery and microsurgical reconstruction of the breast, upper extremity, and lower extremity
- Plastic Surgery Center of the Pacific, Honolulu
- Fellow in cosmetic surgery, emphasis on cosmetic surgery of the Asian face and breast surgery
- Clinica Ivo Pitanguy, Rio de Janeiro
- Visiting fellowship in cosmetic surgery
- McMaster University, Hamilton
- Microsurgical head and neck reconstruction
McMaster University, Hamilton
University of British Columbia, Vancouver
Master of Science
McGill University, Montreal
Bachelor of Science
McGill University, Montreal, Biology
- Gaspar W. Anastasi Award, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Regional Medical Associates Research Scholar, McMaster University
- The Margaret Isabel McKellar Memorial Prize, University of British Columbia
- The Samuel Diamond Scholarship, University of British Columbia
- The Douglas and Jean Bailey Scholarship, University of British Columbia
- The Best Doctors in America 2011-2012, www.bestdoctors.com
- Honolulu Magazine’s Top Doctors in Hawaii, 2015
- First Place, Hawaii’s Best, People’s Choice Awards, Awarded by the Star-Advertiser, 2015
- Best of Honolulu® Magazine 2015
- Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, member
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons in Plastic Surgery
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, member
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada in Plastic Surgery
- Honolulu Medical Association, member
- Aloha Medical Mission, board of directors and active surgeon volunteer
- ReSurge International, active surgeon volunteer
- International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, member
- Associate Professor, University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, member