Shim Ching, MD: Asia Pacific Plastic Surgery
1401 South Beretania Street #888
Honolulu, HI 96814
Phone: (808) 585-8855
Monday–Friday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
The goal of Asian rhinoplasty is to create a nose that enhances the beauty of the Asian face, not to create a Caucasian nose. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Shim Ching specializes in Asian cosmetic procedures for women and men. He has performed hundreds of Asian rhinoplasty procedures at his practice in Honolulu, Hawaii.
What are the benefits of Asian rhinoplasty?
Dr. Ching can improve the appearance of the nose by reshaping its skin, bone, and cartilage. Women and men visit him for Asian rhinoplasty to attain a variety of improvements, including:
- Defining the bridge of the nose
- Lifting the tip of the nose
- Refining the shape of a bulbous tip
- Reshaping the nostrils
- Making the lower third of the nose more narrow
Who is a good candidate for Asian rhinoplasty?
Good candidates for rhinoplasty have realistic expectations about how changing the shape of the nose can help them look more attractive. This procedure is appropriate for adults as well as adolescents whose facial growth is complete.
Dr. Shim Ching
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Shim Ching is one of Hawaii’s most renowned physicians for aesthetic procedures of the face, breast, and body. His attention to detail, skill, and mastery of surgical techniques produce remarkable, natural-looking results.MEET DR. CHING
Can the nose be reshaped without surgery?
In select patients who require only shaping of the bridge of the nose or filling out an indentation, Dr. Ching can use a dermal filler such as RADIESSE® to provide a non-surgical rhinoplasty. While results are impressive, they are only temporary.
How is Asian rhinoplasty performed?
Dr. Ching performs rhinoplasty as an outpatient procedure in about 1 to 3 hours. Asian rhinoplasty may be performed as a closed procedure with incisions inside the nose or an open procedure with an incision across the columella between the nostrils. The surgical techniques he uses are similar to those for traditional rhinoplasty but tailored to the desired improvements.
- Raising the bridge of the nose is typically accomplished with a silicone implant. Silicone implants have been used for more than 50 years and have proven to be very safe for Asian nose surgery.
- Reshaping the tip of the nose often requires cartilage grafts that are usually harvested from the ear. Reshaping the tip of the nose provides greater definition and projection of the nasal tip. Removal of specific portions of the cartilage of the ear leads to no visible changes in ear appearance, and the scars are usually invisible.
- Reshaping the tip of the nose often requires cartilage grafts that are usually harvested from the ear or nasal septum. Reshaping the tip of the nose provides greater definition and projection of the nasal tip. Removal of specific portions of the cartilage of the ear leads to no visible changes in ear appearance, and the scars are usually invisible. Similarly, septal cartilage harvest does not change the shape or function of the nose when properly done. One of the most significant improvements in Asian rhinoplasty surgery is the use of a septal extension graft to reshape the tip and elongate the nose. Previously, surgeons attempted to use nasal implants to achieve this, which resulted in unnatural results and complications related to the implants. Using septal extension grafts to refine and project the tip is the best and safest surgical technique for Asian tip rhinoplasty.
- Narrowing the lower third of the nose is done with incisions inside the nostrils and sometimes along the side of the nose. Incisions are all designed to leave minimal or invisible scars.
What Our Patients Are Saying...
I have always had visions of what I would look like with a flat tummy. Now every single morning when I awake, I always say, “thank you Dr. Ching!” Thank you for allowing my dreams and visions of having my ideal body come to be a reality.
Dr Shim Ching is the best surgeon of the island of Oahu. You will get what you paid for. He gets the most hospitable staff. I just love them. Thank you.
Dear Dr. Ching, It has been 6 weeks (just as you said) and I look Fabulous! What a transformation! I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am for the GREAT WORK you did on my face.
What are the benefits of revision rhinoplasty?
Dr. Ching has extensive experience performing revision rhinoplasty for previous procedures performed elsewhere. These often involve improving a patient’s nose for a more natural appearance. The most common reason for revision is a “short nose,” which almost always requires a septal extension graft. Another common reason for revision rhinoplasty involves a nasal implant that is visible because the implant is too big or placed directly underneath the skin. Ideally, an implant should look completely natural. A natural appearance is restored when an appropriately sized implant is chosen and the implant is placed directly next to the bone, in the subperiosteal position.
What can I expect during recovery after nose surgery?
Asian rhinoplasty patients usually return to work and normal activities within 1 to 2 weeks.
When will I see my final rhinoplasty results?
Healing from rhinoplasty occurs gradually. Most patients are 85% recovered within the first month when most of the swelling has diminished. Within 6 months, patients can expect to be within 95% of their final results. It can take about a full year for results to be completely attained.
Directions for Our Fly-in Patients
Dr. Shim Ching's exceptional qualifications and results draw patients to his Honolulu plastic surgery practice from across the Hawaiian Islands including Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. Select a location for driving directions to our practice.